I didn't grow up in a cooking kitchen as a child. My dad's specialties as wieners & beans and friend potatoes. My mom has a small repertoire of dishes she can make well (pot roast with potatoes and carrots, cream of cauliflower) for Sunday dinner and special occasions. I took a foods class in grade 9 and faked being sick on the day we were making meatballs because I didn't want to touch raw hamburger.
So how is it that now I'm addicted to cooking blogs? It started with moving out and living on my own for university. I lived off campus from the start and therefore needed to feed myself. As I got older, I had a few realizations:
1. I need to eat. Everybody does, but I get especially hangry when my tummy is empty.
2. Eating out is expensive and often high in calories. I still love going out for dinner, but it's not a feasible everyday option.
3. If I'm going to spend the time to make something at home, I might as well make something delicious!
And now I'm constant perusing blogs and pinterest for recipes to try! So here's one I made last week that turned out very tasty! And it's ridiculously simply to throw together!
Slowcooker BBQ Chicken Sandwich
3 Chicken Breasts - frozen
1 bottle BBQ sauce
1/2 cup Italian dressing
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1. Mix BBQ sauce, Italian dressing, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce in a medium bowl and mix well.
2. Place frozen chicken breasts in slowcooker and pour sauce overtop.
3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
I told you it was easy! And really tasty! It reminds me out my favourite meat sandwiches from Holy Smoke BBQ. Next time I plan to add some heat to the sauce with chili powder and hot sauce.
Recipe adapted from this one.